Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Linemen

A-Men to that brother.
I was 1 out of 32 people who took a class "climbing wooden poles" taught by Detroit Edison back in the early '80's, followed by a 90 day "training program" to hang fiber for the internet. (Had no clue what the internet was. Or should I say, was going to be)
I was told that if we made it through the training program we would receive a "certificate". I thought Big Deal.
First day of class we saw videos of accidents to linemen, reminded me of the movie "Faces of Death"
Well I think about 12 people showed up the second day.
There was ONE other person in the group besids me that completed the 40 hour class and actually went into the field to hang fiber, the other guy lasted about 10 days. 
I was the only one out of 32 that actually became a lineman.  I fished that certificate out of the trash, bought a frame for it and hung it on the wall.
Everything you said is so true, How damn sore my calfs were from my hooks.  (That was BEFORE the velcro pads, Yea, I became soft in my old age  and got me some "Cadillacs.)
I bet people think you are exaggerating about no buckets, or ladders.  I actually thought layup sticks were made to climb when there was no telephone line to walk out on.
I also remember working past 10:00 pm in order to make quota.
Oh, I can only imagine the hell I would have to pay if I complained about how "treed out" our run was.
I will say one thing, you are so right about having a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day!
Damn! Those were the "Good Ole Days!!"
Yea, being an installer must be real tough. 

I think this is what would happen if the newbies did what we "Old Schoolers" did. 

With God all things are possible
This is CABL.com posting #285749. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbmu1
Posted in reply to: Linemen by uglyoldlineman
There are 0 replies to this message