Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Universal Health Care

I, for one am glad that the health bill is close to passage. I pay for my own insurance, and over the last 3 years, my insursance premium has jumped by 37% to the tune of $618 per month, not because I had gotten sick, but because the insurance company could. They are greedy bastards that need to be taken down a peg or two.

With this bill, roughly 31 million additional people will be enrolled in healthcare. What this will do is spread the risk that insures have to a broader spectrum and hopefuly, lower insurance premiums.

As it stands now, insurance companies or very top heavy. Not enough of the premiums that we pay actually end up paying for healthcare. With this bill that will change. 80% of premiums will now be required to go for direct healthcare costs.

The "public option" would have instilled competition in the healthcare arena, thus further driving down costs to the consumer. There is currrently no direct competition in the health insurance industry. They are free to charge what they want. That is why my insurance rate jumped by 37% over the last 3 years.

My Nephew who is 5 years old, was diagnosed with Autism like symptoms. This doesn't mean that he has Autism. As a result of this diagnoses, he was denied healthcare due to a pre-existing condition. This bill would make it against the law to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions.

This bill does not address the issue of skyrocketing prescription drug prices either. As an example, my Mother has high blood pressure. Over the past year her medication cost has gone up a whopping 350% to almost $500 per month. She has been on the same drug and the same dosage the whole time.

The only thing I do not like about this bill is the fact that you will be forced to get healthcare or pay a fine. To me that is the Uncle Sam sticking his nose where it does not belong.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dale
This is CABL.com posting #285387. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbmpb
Posted in reply to: Re: Universal Health Care by goodsky
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Universal Health Care sab3r 12/28/2009 4:32:34 PM