Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Upper Controls will not work -- Altec Unit

a few questions
   (1)  when you move the upper control in any direction does the lower control handles move along with it ?
   (2)  with the truck running and you squeeze the trigger does the engine RPM speed up ?

Mark is correct about a switch but it is located in the lower unit, when the lower unit control is set to lower it provides pressure to the outriggers and the axis controls, then when the control is set to upper it energizes a control block the allows the upper control to work, it is a safety factor to prevent someone on the ground from accidently leaning on a axis control and moving the boom or outriggers the lower controls will will move when it is set to upper, but the pressure bypass valve is open and NO pressure is sent to the main hydrolic axis control block, then when the operator squeezes the trigger the bypass closes and pressure is sent to the axis control block and engine rpm increases    

You really do need the manual
but below is a few things you can look for

It is a fully insulated boom there is no wiring in the upper boom it is a sealed hydraulic circuit , you will need the manuals from altec and a vacuum bleeder pump
they are the same on a stelco like I had, on the square end of grip there is a cover that you can remove and a small reservoir if it is low you have a leak, check all your fittings on the control unit for signs of fluid and same at lower unit.

It is 1/8" nylon tubing so if you find a broken line or fitting you will need to get them from Altec and also get 2 quarts of Control Fluid, it is like linseed oil super super thin weight so it stays the same viscosity when it is +120deg or -40deg , then after you fix it you have to bleed the air from it (just like bleeding the brakes on a car)

that is where the vacuum bleeder comes into play, each motion has its own line and each line will have to be bleed, each actuator will have a bleed port, it don't matter how the boom is positioned, when I did mine I extended it all the way and sat it on the ground, just the controls have to be in the neutral position

the bleeder is the same type as on a car and a automotive bleeder 5/16" 5 point hex wrench and a bleeder hose to snap on the fitting.

you get the point, Get the Books, because if altec rolls it will be a easy 2 grand bill by the time they are done, the manuals will run you about $120.00 for that boom
but they are a lifesaver especially out in the field trying to figure out how to get the boom stowed from 60ft in the air after you lost your engine or PTO
with the emergency letdown control you can retract,lower & rotate just with gravity and return fluid pressure, but it take some talent because you only have 1 shot at it, Get the Manuals
This is CABL.com posting #279995. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbk0d
Posted in reply to: Upper Controls will not work -- Altec Unit by timwilbanks
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Upper Controls will not work -- Altec Unit cabledog 11/14/2009 3:05:34 PM