Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: More Hack Crap

nec code for grounding is definitely to use a gb. as far as i know, there is no splitter made that is approved to be a ground point from the drop. the ground block is designed purely to keep outside voltage from hitting the interior of the house. the gauge of the ground wire must be equivalent to the shield (braid) of the drop. if the gauge of the wire is too thin, it will not direct the entire amount of voltage to the power bond. 12 is good enough for rg6 if i remember, but 10 is a must for rg11. jalso, each drop must have its own gb, wire, and splitbolt (bond).

the only purpose for grounding a splitter is to dissapate any voltage feedback coming from the house appliances (tv,vcr,dvd,stb). this is very effective at keeping voltage out of your dc if you have properly isolated the video from the hsi line.

and yes, now that i look closer the ground wire should have came straight up into the gb instead of looping around and the ground tag should be placed as close to the bond as possible.

once again, A for effort. i think you have done good work for not knowing codes and specs. there are very basic rules that apply to coax characteristics, such as bend radius, etc. scte/ncti keeps track of these rules and has a process for training/certifying the cable industry. as far as the grounding goes, an mso is only required to adhere to state/local law. most areas adopt the nec code as their law, so its very safe to follow that code and expect to not fail a qc. i wonder who for charter decided that a gb wasnt going to be used. that person has a hell of  a legal liability if a house burns to the ground due to lack of proper grounding.

This is CABL.com posting #279006. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbkKg
Posted in reply to: More Hack Crap by islandcable
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: More Hack Crap hookman 81 11/8/2009 3:03:00 PM