Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Partnering a dish service with my cable data s

CanyonMan,

Sorry to say what you already know:  If you are not investing year-over-year on your technology, then your company is dieing a slow death.

In order to stay competitive, you HAVE to keep upgrading your plant.  It sounds like your at the point that you would have to completely rebuild your system from Head-End to CPE just to go digital 1-Ghz.  If you are currently at 870Mhz digital then you are about 4-years behind your competition.  If you are analog only, then you're about 12-years behind.

Can you paint a better picture and history of your system from a technical standpoint?  I.E. - How many homes are passed?  How many active subs?  How big are your cascades?  What kind of architecture are you using for distribution?  Straight Coax or HFC?

It will all help us understand where you're at now so we can help guide out the options in front of you.

We've all come across mom&pop systems that are just now realizing the tech-world has grown up each year while they did nothing and just collected the money.  They pull thier heads out of the sand long enough to realize that the money is slowing down and .."..we don't know why."  10-years of not upgrading and here they are today with a 500Mhz analog system with 32 channels.  Pop fires up his Apple IIe, dials up his 28k-modem, hops online and learns now that MSOs are offering VOIP, HS-Internet, 300+Digital channels, and High-Def channels too.  DVRs with integrated control systems.  Then he looks at HIS 500Mhz system and finally realizes he's behind the curve a tad.  We hope your not one of them CanyonMan.

Sometimes its just better to turn off the switch and run with the money (exactly what American Eagle Cable did in Boulder City, NV) than to invest in upgrading a CATV plant that is 15-years behind the existing technology.
This is CABL.com posting #278705. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbkFp
Posted in reply to: Partnering a dish service with my cable data servi by CanyonMan
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Partnering a dish service with my cable data s hookman 81 11/9/2009 9:14:06 PM
Re: Partnering a dish service with my cable data s alwayswatching 11/9/2009 7:46:35 PM