Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: There is a way to change things - for everyone

I worked as in house tech directly for time warner and charter as well as being a sub. There is definately a night and day difference between the two.

As an in house tech I had 3 interviews, had to take a pysch test, iq test, as well as a full body physical agilities test complete with back x-rays, and vision, the whole nine yards. You need to have a clean driving record (0 points). Most of the in house guys I worked with were all young, clean cut, had some college or were going to school. They have ambition and are working for a career. They come from middle class backgrounds.

As a sub you don't even get an interview, they'll literally hire anyone off the street as long as you have a psuedo clean background. Hell I met so many guys who were working with fake papers, although the mso is finally cracking down on that. I also met a few guys who had felonies but I guess since it was 7 years ago its ok? Most subs are older guys who come from construction type backgrounds who have done grunt labor. they have no real skill. they drive 20 year old beat up minivans and trucks and theyre just trying to put food on the table for their families. I have nothing personal against them. MSOs know theres a high turn around rate and theres a hundred guys in line for your job.

Anyone who thinks they can unionize is stupid, I mean think about it subs are pretty much literally the scabs of this trade. The only point of subs is because the mso saves money. It costs them a 100 bucks to roll an in house truck but what 40 bucks for a sub to do a 1a/o upgrade. You cut into that equation with a union and theres no point of having contractors, it goes against their business model. Being a sub is a dead end job period. It is impossible for it to be a career. at least at mcdonalds you can progress to management and make a decent living with benefits. as a sub you'll just just from one contractor to another it doesn't matter how great your numbers are. if your coworkers do shitty work and your company loses the contract you're the one that gets fucked
This is CABL.com posting #275783. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbjUh
Posted in reply to: Re: There is a way to change things - for everyone by bushmaster
There is 1 reply to this message