Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Diplexer

wow, gets ugly in here fast

i ran rg 11 for 400 ft one time, and still fed 3 amps...1 gi mb and 2 jlx's. voltage went from 55 to 42 but kept the system going. the temp stayed in place in the winter for several months. it wasn't an ideal situation but with a 6 ft frost line you take what you can get. all this took place on 60 volt system which would have a higher amp draw...although i never checked the actual amperage increase

i've seen drops that have had the center conducter blown out of them, after a lightning strike. i've seen power fall on drops with a similar effect. i've seen jumpers sit on electric heaters and have the di-electric melt, ruining the jumper.

i still believe your problem is over-lapping freq's. it was always my impression that sat lived above 900 mhz, but if someone says hd has some signal below 900 mhz then i would guess that is the problem.

dc voltage from house amps and ac feedback from tv's, vcrs and such rarely cause trouble with rg6. the trouble with ac feedback comes when ac travels through the ferrites of the splitters. this resistance heat causes the ferrites to expand/contract which causes trouble with digitial signals. most line techs will tell you that this will only take place at the lowest freq's, such as 5 - 100 mhz or so. when the expansion becomes too great, the ac path is broken and the ferrites cool off again. simply breaking the ac path will almost instantly return levels to normal, which usually causes techs to think they have a bad splitter or connector, only to be back at the residence a week later with the same problem.

i'm not sure in what circumstances the di-electric would melt in front of you with 60 or 90 volt line voltage but i would suspect a short.

good luck with your problem though

This is CABL.com posting #273846. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbjo2
Posted in reply to: Diplexer by salesdawg
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Diplexer EshoreJoe 10/6/2009 10:17:17 PM