Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Has anyone switched to sales?

PRIME, 

Sales is the way to go. If you do the sales thing you want to make sure you start out with a cable company as either an employee or as a contractor. If you try to go towards the satellite direction you may very likely get burned. There are several rather large companies out there that specialize in sales only job and sales/install jobs. I myself try never to take a job that I can't install my own stuff. It means something to me to be able to if you hand me over 20 dollars for the first month I will have you up and watching cable right now. This makes me less valuable in the business. More and more these days the cable companies are going away with the ability to install your own sales. They have the mentality that sales people sell and installers install. I myself am 3 product certified with two different MSO's and consider myself a sales person that is qualified to install. 

Please don't take everyones word on here about their ideas on cable sales. TO ME their isn't an easier job out there. I have done so many different door to door positions that I finally found a product that MOST can't live without. Sales will be tough for you if you can't get your ass out of bed before 2pm. If you aren't usually motivated in life don't expect to come and do sales and all of that change. As you probably know that your habits will follow you to your career. FOr me sales just comes natural, it's easy for me to knock on a door that has nothing and ask them if they want some cable.. It really is as easy as that. I don't even consider it to be a sale I think of myself as a person just explaining to me what I have. In other door to door positions I have had it wasn't unlikely to have the door slammed at my face. With cable it is different, I never ever go knocking on doors without having a tool bag slung across my shoulder. People think I am a tech and am there for a different reason. Their guard is down by doing this. 

Most of these guys are right. The hood is where you make your quick bucks. If you can find that diamond in the rough job that still pays good to go into the hood than stay their and bankrupt the MSO until they change the job where you can't make money in the hood. The shift seems to be going towards stealing the VIOS, UVERSE, Direct, and Dish. Comcast is paying some big big big money to get these customers back. If you don't feel comfortable going to the hood and slinging cable finally there is that alternative with Alchemy. Let me do the math for you. Average sale install in the hood is probably about 60 dollars.. 45 for the install and 10-15 for install. Hood people have cell phone so you aren't going to be able to sell them that RGU. Most people in the hood don't own a computer, weird right? Total norm in the hood. So average Joe can usually sell and install 7-8 of these.. thats Mr. average remember.. So that is around 480 dollars to do sale and install.. Now go do some Alchemy in CERTAIN cities you can make 400 plus per triple play (3 products). You have to be able to look half way decent to do this type of work. OK, rephrase .. it would be helpful if you looked halfway decent. Nice areas don't like dealing with sales people that have missing teeth. GET IT? Now I have been doing the cable thing for quite some time and I see the shift going this way. The MSO want something for their money. 

Hope all this helps!

There are some really awesome guys on here that will give you a lot of information just ask!

Salesdawg
This is CABL.com posting #272751. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbi7n
Posted in reply to: Re: Has anyone switched to sales? by grkirk1st
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Has anyone switched to sales? cablemn86 9/28/2009 3:31:00 PM