Create your free account now! Sign up

Slow down brothers and count to 10

Now now everyone needs to calm down and take a deep breath...This is why I so rarely join in discussions like this...My Dad taught me YEARS ago that there are two things to NEVER talk about with friends and that is politics and religion...Now me chiming in here with my 5 cents (inflation ya know ) does not indicate that I do not consider my brothers here as friends...Honestly I am just seeing if there is something I can learn here about this subject...But so far after reading the responses to what I quoted and said it seems that the only thing for me to learn is that you guys have already made your minds up ...

I understand people being upset IF what was being done is trying to raise our kids instead of us doing the raising...From what I understand about Obamas kids they are being raised well...I wish I could say the same about all politicians kids...Anyway I don't think Obama has any desire for anyone to raise our kids but us...He already has his hands full with his own children...

Now everyone here it seems has come to the pre-conceived notion that his 'speech' is not in fact giving the students a beginning-of-the-year, do-your-best type of presentation...I don't understand...I have seen no cause to think it will be anything but words of encouragement...Times have changed and it is much easier now to reach the masses than it was even 10 years ago...This is why it hasn't been done before...I went to catholic school growing up and yes if the Pope had a message a recording would be sent to all schools for playback on the intercom system or as the times changed on video cassette and we had school assemblies to listen/watch...IIRC this happened once with Reagon about something or another...Point being this really isn't anything new past the fact that it is being done but such a controversial president that Obama is and that is primarily because he is black...

I mean I'm sure everyone has a reason to not want their children to hear what the president has to say but I have to wonder just how valid those reasons really are...I mean c'mon guys...Think back when you were a kid and for most of you (I hope) this was before there was cable...And think about when the president would come TV and pre-empt the normal programming...Did you really pay attention??? Fuck no...You, just like every other kid, daydreamed about something completely different and you only did that if you even bothered to stick around in front of the tube...Do you honestly believe a pre-K-6 grader is going to give their full undivided attention to Obama??? No...Not unless mommy and daddy are making such a fuss over the guy that curiosity gets the best of them and they do watch...

Ultimately I see this as an additional learning experience...Give your kids some credit and see how they handle what they heard...Then talk to them without showing emotion one way or another about Obama and let them know what they heard should be heeded or not and why...

Anyway I am not trying to argue or say if anyone, including myself, is right or wrong...I am just suggesting that people keep an open mind...Remember...United we stand...Divided we fall...But most importantly don't forget the most important ting...It takes a village to raise a child...

Dogs aren't our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
This is CABL.com posting #268780. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbh5k
Posted in reply to: Re: mykids don't have to go if they don't want by JD42596
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Slow down brothers and count to 10 sab3r 9/8/2009 12:33:01 AM
Re: Slow down brothers and count to 10 thetyrone 9/5/2009 11:36:33 PM
Re: Slow down brothers and count to 10 Toast 9/5/2009 7:35:46 PM
Re: Slow down brothers and count to 10 LocoDawg 9/5/2009 7:18:59 PM
Re: Slow down brothers and count to 10 JD42596 9/5/2009 8:02:39 AM
Re: Slow down brothers and count to 10 Polehiker 9/5/2009 5:10:38 AM