Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Cable...it's not a job anymore

I guess it depends on what your looking for and what market your in. The good years of new build and retros are gone for now, but maintenance contracts can be lucrative, you just have to put in a bit more time to make it. I am in the southwest Ohio region and have been slammed for the last 3 years. It slowed a bit, for very short periods, only a few times, and even then I somehow made a decent check. I hit 90k last year and was home every day with my family, so I can't complain. Put in an average of 80 hours a week to do it, but that is just the way it is. With the age of the cable on a lot of these systems, you'd think they would have to rebuild soon, but it seems like cable replacements, as needed, are the protocol for now. Node splits are nice, but of the two systems I work on, one lets us do them and the other does them in-house with their maintenance techs. It is definitely hard out there right now, no doubt about it, but if you hook up with a local maintenance contractor who has a steady work load, you can make it. I've been in this industry for a long time now, and the good Lord has always provided work opportunities for me, so I couldn't even think of what it would be like to have to start over doing something else. Despite the elements not cooperating at times, I still enjoy doing it.
Gary Vest
This is CABL.com posting #256031. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbeLH
Posted in reply to: Re: Cable...it's not a job anymore by TheRobMan
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Cable...it's not a job anymore bushmaster 5/31/2009 11:44:54 AM