Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: A little perspective of a trillion dollars

I am not saying I want to force my opinion on them, but where I live in Pa the schools are fanatical liberal. I make sure I give my kids the other side of the coin that the school doesn't. The schools are supposed to teach the kids, not raise them.

With the oldest one, I ask her from time to time what her position on something we spoke about is awhile afterwards. And I ask her why that is her position. I don't want an automaton, I want my kids to be able to formulate their own decisions and to think through problems but to do so they need to know both sides of the arguement which they don't get from the teachers, newspapers and tv.

I also don't want my kids to cry and whine about the problems we face either. I want them to understand that freedom isn't free. If you truly believe anything isn't right, you need to be willing to do what needs to be done to fix it. Go to government meetings, write op-ed letters, anything short of violence. I also don't want them to depend on the government to fix it either, it would be great if it did, but past experience doesn't show that to be true.

I also whole heartedly agree with you about the age ianpropriate things our kids are exposed to. Too many parents use the tv as a babysitter. A nd even the channels that are supposed to be safe ie. Disney, aren't. I almost feel off the sofa the other day when on Disney at the end of one of the shows after the kids figured out their problems, the female character turns to the boy and asks him if he had ever had a cheerleader. I was floored ( and Disney got a letter over that one ).

I know its hard with kids, you don't want to stifle them, but you cant let them run amok either. But if we don't raise our own kids, you may not like how the others are trying to do it.
This is CABL.com posting #255598. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbeEI
Posted in reply to: Re: A little perspective of a trillion dollars by sab3r
There are 0 replies to this message