Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: at&t strike??

Yup, and once you take that job you will see the pay cut in half.

Many contractors do not make more than in house techs. I have worked on jobs where contractors were getting $19/hr 1099 and the in house union guys were getting $24/hr W2. Contractors in general, in this industry, do not make more than contractors unless they are earning at least 25% more on the front end, becasue of contractor expenses. Union telecom workers earn good wages and have excellent bennies to go along with those wages. This equates to an excellent over all compensation package. Contractors, in 2009, are still happy making $1000-$1500/wk on the road working 60 hrs with little or no bennies. To be honest, a telecom workers healthcare package alone is probably worth half of most contractor's pay check. COBRA payments for a laid off AT&T worker is around $2,000/month and that just medical. Doesn't include dental and vision.

Im an ex-CWA memebr. Currently, I do some 1099 ITwork and some w2 telecom work. I usually work side by side with union counterparts. I have no problems. I won't do strike work. I respect the fact that my wages are good, because their wages are great. If unions are ever eliminated from telecom work, wages for ALL telecom work will mirror the wages for cable & sat work.

As contractors and contract employees we need to get off our high horses. The main reasons companies use contractors is because its cheaper. Not saying thats a bad reason or not, but its the truth. 80% of 1099 contractors are nothing more than misclassified employees which equals cheaper labor. If the only way a company can pay you decent wages, is to break the law. You probably should ask yourself why that is. Some contractors may very well be better than in house workers. But that still doesn't eliminate the fact that the main reason contractors are used is because its cheaper labor.

A wise man once told me. "It takes no skill to be the cheapest"........
This is CABL.com posting #253935. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbedT
Posted in reply to: Re: at&t strike?? by deleted
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: at&t strike?? MCSub 5/10/2009 2:40:58 PM