Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What's so special about Charter Cable Installa

Firstly, let me begin by thanking everyone who took the time out to read and/or respond to this posting.  I would like to be a little more specific as I believe the true objective to my posting has yet to be met.

I have worked in the cable/satellite service & installation field since 1998.  As installations became somewhat mundane, I decided to veer-off into the configuration aspect of satellite/cable/telephony/data.  As I love to learn it was definitely more challenging than the typical installation/configuration.

Now, because the summer is near I decided to visit CABL Bar to see what was available that would allow me more opportunities to work outside in the summertime weather.  So, I answered an ad for 'Techs Needed' for installations in New Jersey.  That's when I spoke with Vailvon.  He informed me that the ad I was responding to was old and outdated, although it was posted March 24, 2009 and had an expiration date of June 22, 2009.  We then began speaking about the Charter Systems installation position he has available in North Carolina.  Never-the-less, as I begun speaking with him he asked if I had Charter Systems experience in which I promptly replied "NO".  I then queried him as to what type of cable is Charter Systems because he would not accept my In-House Cablevision experience as being qualified enough to install this 'oh-so-complex' system (my words) that i've never heard of.  He goes on to explain that Charter Systems has an elaborate installation process (my words again, not his; this is what I've deduced per our conversation).  I then ask, "Well, I've been in this business quite some time and I have never heard of this Charter Systems thing".  He tells me that they're located in NC, CT, VT & MA.  So, I figure 'no wonder'!  I've worked NY, NJ & PA.

As I am one ALWAYS seeking knowledge and, as I mentioned earlier, love to learn I asked that he elaborate on this "special" system that I've never heard of (i.e. installation techniques/protocol).  He goes on to explain that unlike all other cable/satellite systems, Charter uses a PDA to complete their installs and that it has proven to be too difficult to train unfamiliar technicians, as he has attempted to train others and they couldn't get it after a week or so.  Now I am REALLY intrigued.  So, I start to Google it to get as much information as I can (SOMETHING NEW TO LEARN); to no avail.  I relented and called him back a second time (this is the last time I called; it was only 2 calls) and inquired some more.  Now I'm like a kid in a candy store drooling from the mouth to learn this coveted technique.  I am so enthralled at this point I offer to work for him, or any of his technicians, for FREE in exchange for training on this Charter System thing.  He turns me down.  No Problem!

So I hit the Bar, hence my original posting, and inquired about not only this Charter System thing but the difficulties in learning its installation/service protocol only to conclude that it's BULLSH*T!  I started my technician career with Cablevision of NYC (a.k.a. Time Payment Systems) as an in-house installation/service tech and have installed residential & commercial systems for Mobil, Exxon & the U.S. Parks Department who needed extensive encryption due to the sensitivity of their transmissions to XM Satellite Radio servicing and/or replacing their repeaters, amongst the many other certifications held for pc repair, systems networking and troubleshooting, only for it to be implied that I was NOT worthy, SMART or qualified enough to learn what's needed to install Charter Systems cable.  UNBELIEVABLE!  By the way, XM Satellite repeater resets and servicing can be completed via PDA as well.  Presently, to my knowledge, there is no really neat software for it like TechNet but it can be serviced utilizing HyperTerminal, which is found on most standard os'.  As some may know, using HyperTerminal would be the equivalent of utilizing DOS. Just like one would HAVE to learn how to use a computer in DOS mode had Bill Gates not co-invented this nice little package called Windows.

Anyway, just for shits & giggles, if anyone in the New England area wants to trade my labor for-a-day for your instruction in the use of Charter Systems 'PDA' (TechNet), I would be more than happy to oblige; if payment is preferred rather than my labor, I will be MORE than willing to negotiate, just to have something else to place on the ol' resume.

Thanks Again EVERYONE
This is CABL.com posting #253532. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbd7o
Posted in reply to: What's so special about Charter Cable Installation by fastrunner
There is 1 reply to this message