Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Cable Contractors - Leave while you still can.

As you can tell by the other posts, "attitude" accounts for many of the problems in this business.  Instead of just trying to do a good job, many guys in this industry simply get a rush from going on a power trip and "dishing out contracts" to their friends instead of companies who actually know what they are doing.   Some of us in this business run a clean honest shop.  There are those who don't (don't pay employees, don't have insurance, don't pay the IRS, etc).  They also tend to do the worst quality work at the lowest possible prices.
Personally, I enjoyed your post. I wish more people would get out (especially the slimey ones who keep landing contracts because they low-ball everyone else).
But to answer your question, there are those of us who can make a living out of it.  We work for reputable companies (NOT Mastec), and put employees first.  I am able to support 20-30 families by running a tight, clean, honest ship.  It is doable.  Reputations, good work do matter.  We are the ones who are left to clean up the ugly messes that all the hacks create.
Good for you for not putting up with the slick side.  Installs are ugly.  Not all Install contractors are the same, but many are crooks (put money in their pockets, leave their "employees" (yes, they really should be employees and not 1099d - there is a difference) left hanging when April comes around and the IRS is looking for their $$.  They put installers in crappy conditions and could care less.  Sadly, though, this business is filled with ex-cons and others who cannot pass a background check that would allow them to get a better job.  (Personally, we have great difficulty finding employees who do quality work, don't complain, and can pass the background check and/or drugscreen.  Sad, but true. And we don't do installs!) But when we do find them, we pay and treat them well.
I mean no disrespect to those who sit on this website to complain, moan & groan about their working conditions. I only mean to answer your question. I hope it helps.
This is CABL.com posting #251993. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbdIz
Posted in reply to: Cable Contractors - Leave while you still can. by TheAlphaTech
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Cable Contractors - Leave while you still can. whocares1984 5/22/2009 6:15:03 PM