Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:some simple advice

hey scott,if you want advice here it is.don,t argue with the guy's your trying to get advice from.when trying to start in construction don't say your a dispatcher or anything other than a lineman.if you are a lineman and have enough exp. and money  you should buy your own truck ins. and equip.then call around and get a contract.if your successful you will be able to expand ,but this depend on your skills. all the headaches will be yours.such as hotels,employees,accidents, breakdowns,collecting money,cashing out of state checks,finding contracts,dealing with w.c. audits,paying your own taxes,setting back money to renew ins.book keeping etc.for example i am first and foremost the lineman on my own truck at least 10 hrs a day ,then i do most of my own mechanic work.i keep my own books,do my own taxes. well you get the idea.you can hire people to do all this for you but, you won't make any money.if you posses all these skills then go for it.you will need tools such as,2 lashers ,2 chain hoists,30 a frames , 50 fiber rollers,gas drill,anchor cranker, cable trailer, jackson bender,jig,beckets, coring tools,power block,setup chute,90 block,ground rod pounder,traffic signs,cones,chainsaw,meter,mechanic tools,four wheeler, hooks,belt,layup stick,hand tools and probably some stuff i'm forgetting . you will need 2 mil g.l. ,1 mil w.c. ,1 mil commercial auto ins. i hope this will help you.storm damage is a good place to start.you must know how to build strand,coax,jig fiber,lash storage,fiber enclosures,transfer risers,power supplies,tree trim,w/o,de/re, over lash,anchors,vgr's,pole transfers,straight,curve,deadend,doubledeadend,4 way ,3 way,resag,read your asbuild,tell wich way signal feeds when you have trunk and feeder ,redesighn plant ,and other stuff i'm probally forgetting.you must be able to do all of this without getting yourself or anyone else killed.i do it the hard way,with a splicing bucket,belt and hooks,four wheeler.most prefer a t40 ,but theyre a little expensive.i'm buying one next week.another thing is don't argue with a lineman unless you can fight because most would rather fight than argue and will commence to stomping a muddhole in your ass if you said some of these things to their face.also if youve spent time on a catv crew you know that is how we talk.when people say its a lifestyle its true it takes a bad ass ,hardcore, motherf8cker to do what we do.we live with our heads 3 feet from certian death and it gives you a godlike scared of nothing complex.not to mention always being in rush to make a mile of production for the day.real lineman are almost always lean and mean.in my opinion you owe lineman everywhere an appoligy for your comment about climbing,because climbing a pole doesn't even scratch the surface.a little respect goes a long way and you have exibited none.you should change your name /moniker again.youve maid allot of enemies here and will never get any respect especialy from the old school linedawgs. if your doing drops you should lable your thread drop rebuild so we know your an installer not a lineman .what i have described is aerial rebuild. for your own good i hope you learn to have some respect or you won't go anywhere in this field of endevor. i hope your appolligy will be the last time you use this screen name.also i hope you got the info you needed.if you don't love and respect the lifestyle your doing it wrong!!!!!!!!  peace out linedog 0001 a bad m.f.
This is CABL.com posting #241183. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbaUd
Posted in reply to: Re: Aerial Re-Builds by Scott_Craig24
There are 4 replies to this message
Re:some simple advice jimmyjet 2/2/2009 1:06:44 AM
Re:some simple advice islandcable 1/31/2009 8:32:21 AM
Re:some simple advice Polehiker 1/30/2009 7:02:30 AM
Re:some simple advice nrb1 1/30/2009 6:59:13 AM