Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Do I work Inhouse or Sub? WTF

Well Said.
I was a sub owner and an in-house tech here in Chicago for five years and I was successful on both side of the fence. I gave up my company because a lot of techs act like I (sub owner) was suppose to baby them (provide cable, gas money, connectors, etc). In order to be a successfull and profitable contractor you have to be deciplined and think of your self like a one man franchise. Keep track of your inventory(receivers), keep your truck stocked with enough drop material to do your job correctly and know that it will pass QC and educate the customer so you won't get any repeat service calls. I gave all of my guys the info to Perect 10 so they could purchase their drop material (since Perfect 10 is located in a Chicago suburb), only 2 techs out of 20 opened up an account. Everyone else leached off in-house techs or just did garbage work.

I hear a lot of guys bad mouth sub companies because of chargebacks. I've had guys that have worked for me after "getting burned" by other companies and trust me they got burned because they were garbage techs. The HSP(DirectSat USA) here now require sub-owner to talk to each other before a tech can transfer to another sub, just so each company will know what type of tech they are receiving. My company was getting charged back at least 60-70 repeats a month a $60 a pop. I wasn't going to eat those charges. Shit rolls down hill. Directv > HSP> sub company> techs. NO TECH SHOULD EVER GET AN OTG(On Time Guarantee Chargeback - $100.00). Get your a$$ out of bed. McDonalds would just fire you for being late too many times.

I'm now a travel tech and still making VERY good money without having to deal with cryin ass garbage techs. I love contracting. Just be careful who you contact for. Get as much info on the company, a company needs to provide detailed info about chargebacks. Directsat is good with providing this info and I would pass it along. My guys would call customers just to verify that they actually had a repeat service call. That always shuts garbage techs up.

Also most of my guys that I sent in-house right before I shut down in Sept 08, got fired before Jan 09'

My Famous Quote: "Get Money or Get Evicted" 
This is CABL.com posting #239865. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbayX
Posted in reply to: Re: Do I work Inhouse or Sub? WTF by RadioMan
There are 0 replies to this message