Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: ccdish

I know exactly how contractors feel, and why so many are so angry. I'll give you a factual answer.

The company I currently work for has a composite reconnect price (Cable TV Installs) of $8.75 to the installer. They are a prime contractor and they get $17.50 for that same reconnect.

Now, I know you already see a huge problem with the price, but it gets much, much better..... so stay with me.

OK........ here is the rest of the story, and a perfect example of what is so wrong with this whole industry now. That $8.75 reconnect includes the first 3 outlets. So not only do you have to change that fitting at the tap that you were talking about, but you have to run (that's right) run up to three (3) NEW outlets, and of course reground and do all of the other things that you have to do for free now days.

ALL FOR $8.75 (rotflmao)

but wait!!!............... there's more

This is in a system where the average jobs are about 20 miles apart!

And all of their installers are INDEPENDENT (1099) CONTRACTORS with POV. No gas card, nothing!!!!

OK............. for anyone new in this business, a fair rate for a composite reconnect price that includes the first three outlets, based on the already low prevailing rates of today would be around $70.00 to the Prime contractor and $35.00 to the sub (at the same 50% rate).

Hmmmmmmmm let's see.......... the sub now gets $8.75 when a reasonable rate based on today's low ball discount prices would be $35.00!!!!! (are you starting to understand the I don't care attitude so common today?)

I've already calculated that it costs me around $12.00 just to drive to a job in that system (for vehicle expenses only)........... that's not even factoring in my time (which has a value to me, even if it doesn't to the prime, the MSO, or anyone else).

How long does it take YOU to run three new outlets in a system where ALL of the homes have a crawl space.

FACT ....... every installer working in that system for this prime LOSES money on every single reconnect he/she does. There is no way around it. Of course the prime still makes a profit. Their overhead is a certain % of their gross. The rest is profit. So what do they care how long you spend on a job? This one doesn't......... that's obvious!!!

There are no other rates in that same system where you can "make up" for such a joke rate. All of the other pay rates are also low, but not as bad.

In case your wondering, I'm only there because I came for other work which was promised, but never seems to materialize. So I'm outta there ASAP.

The cold hearted arrogance of some primes just baffles me to no end!

I would tell you all who it is, but even though these are all facts, this post would just be deleted, lol.

I'm just trying to point out real world situations that are so far out of wack, because some people just don't care, don't know what they are doing, or just don't give a damn.

Hey........... some people have families to feed, and they are in this business to try to do that.

I'm very surprised that in some systems, all the installers don't just leave.

If you pay sh*t, you tend to get sh*t in return!

GLTA

(cool)
This is CABL.com posting #225967. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m6WN
Posted in reply to: Re: ccdish by MitchellsInstallations
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: ccdish cablemut 9/8/2008 12:32:00 PM