Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: OTA Rooftop Antenna

There's going to be a lot of homesites where the signal quality and quantity isn't going to be ideal. I don't think I would want to bid a flat rate on this type of work. When I do antennas, I bid by the hour and material used. I charge $80/hr, one hour minimum. Your guarantee should be that you will point the antenna within 15 degrees of the towers and attempt to get signal from a height no greater than 10' above the base of the tripod. That way, you limit your scope of a basic install to a defined set of parameters. Beyond that, either the site is a no-go or they pay custom labor for you to keep on trying.

You can't guarantee the signal quality, only thing you can guarantee is what effort you will make to obtain ideal quality. The above parameters basically state that you will swing the antenna back and forth at various heights to get the best signal. Sometimes, things like multipathing will be a problem at one height or direction but not at another. You also won't be liable for backcharge if someone goes back out, rotates the antenna 90 degrees away from the towers and magically gets the signal because you operated within your scope.

As for sealing the base of the tripod, I recommend good ol' roofing tar from a caulk gun or paint can with putty knife. Much of what is carried in this regard has a ten year or even better warranty. Silicone doesn't always work well on roofs. Also, if you are good, you can learn how to lift the shingles and place the foot of the tripod underneath. Then you put a lag screw that has a screw head instead of a nut and sits pretty flush into the roof. Slather it with tar, and lay the shingle back down on it.
This is CABL.com posting #218020. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m4SC
Posted in reply to: OTA Rooftop Antenna by Splicer Life 4me
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: OTA Rooftop Antenna Splicer Life 4me 5/12/2008 8:33:00 PM