Create your free account now! Sign up

Roadmap to Success in Cable

1. Print some business cards
2. Hand them out to everybody. Best thing cable ever did for me was allow me to meet a lot of people needing home networks.
3. Do not be stupid and create a conflict of interest, but take ownership of your customers and make sure they know they can call you now matter how small the problem at any time, EVER (the reason for your card). Make sure they know that you know how much it sucks to call the MSO and that is why you personally use FTA satellite but you will bend over backwards to help resolve any problem they might ever have related to their service because you genuinely care.
4. Ask the customer if they would mind if you retain their email address to follow up with them periodically to see how everything is going. (The smart ones will build a secret castle from this idea alone)
5. Stop wasting your energy on all of the bs that goes with cable and invest your time and energy in the people you do installs for, and the quality of their install because the reward is better and bigger.

Go to the nearest best buy and get a copy of the Magnolia installation price sheet and use it as a reference.
While you are there talk to the geek squad.

Services I offer:
FTA installation
Home theatre installation
Network installation (wired & wireless)
Telephone installation
VOIP installation (ie vonage, packet 8, etc.)
Door camera installations

I have a computer background so I also offer the following:
Server installation
VPN installation (people will love this one if you are in a high dollar market)
Virus & Spyware removal
General PC Repair

Looking into home automation

I am the type of installer who would want 4 triples a day maybe 5 if I feel like staying out late. They are all getting new wire and I am not ever going back to any of them. I am the type of installer that does not get along with management because I will be the first one in the bitch line if they think I am going to fit their 10lbs of s**t in my 5lb bag. Tools, meters, yes I have invested the money in myself to be a pro and it is evident when I pull my truck into the driveway.

As soon as I got really good I learned a while back that companies do not give a s**t. They just want more from you for less money every year. Do the best you can do and learn to say no or kiss my a**. I used to let it bother me until I figured out how to use the system to my advantage. Like everything else its not what you know but who you meet. So be a true subcontractor and elevate your game. Next thing you know, you will be telling the man you can only work part time because you need more time for side jobs... i mean classes. After that you will be telling the man they can take that $5k sign on and stick it! Remember no one wants you to make more money. Be selfish and ruthless in the morning and kill the customer with kindness and service the rest of the day.
Need some unscheduled time off? Just say no
This is CABL.com posting #197441. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mZwH
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Roadmap to Success in Cable IslandCableDog 8/30/2007 10:20:00 PM
Re: Roadmap to Success in Cable TDD1 8/30/2007 3:14:00 PM
Re: Roadmap to Success in Cable scooterz56 8/30/2007 7:42:00 AM