Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: $30 /Call? Has anyone calculated costs?

I am a sweep tech or use to be.. They say "From the tap -to- the first amp, which I read as check all passives (taps, hard line splitters, couplers maybe power inserters) and keep your hands out of our amps or LE's. . So your not talking about balancing anything. There would be basically three types of problems, those caused by mechanical or electrical or the cable itself and those caused by improper balance of an amp or amps on that leg of the node. Sometimes you can replace the passive device but most of the time, the splice has to be taken apart and checked for stinger length, water, sheild pulled back etc. Which means you have to replace the passive device and if that doesnt work, cut through the old shrink tube, take it apart, re-core it sometimes and put on a new shrink wrap or inother words re-splice the passive, and hope you found the problem. If its ingress or a bad return it could be getting in anywhere including an accumulation of noise in the entire hub. You could be there all day. If its underground cable many many times its the cable itself so your not going to fix the problem. If its a balancing problem or a problem before or in the first amp or LE, your not going to fix the problem. Which means put in another service call and make the customer wait again. The entire leg should be checked at the first amp from the last splitter or node and balanced from that point to the subscriber tap, correcting any other problem as you go.The telemetry on the reverse should be verified at the node. The other way is backwards. I think there trying to get an IR person to fix the bull crap so they dont have to pay someone who knows hardline.... I don't claim to know everything and could be wrong or misunderstanding the ad, but $30 are you kidding me?

This is CABL.com posting #194343. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mYIJ
Posted in reply to: Re: $30 /Call? Has anyone calculated costs? by johned
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: $30 /Call? Has anyone calculated costs? DZW! 7/13/2007 10:14:00 PM