Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Two Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line

Late one morning about twenty-five years or so ago, I was a rookie installer hustling to complete a job that included re-routing an existing outlet. It was an old house that had undergone a lot of renovations/additions and it was on different levels and pretty daunting to get a feel for its layout.

The architecture seemed to dictate a quick in-and-out the closet type job could save the day versus a proper exterior run taking 'forever' to wrap the house. So, to save some time, I drill into the closet, running coax up the doorframe moulding, over and down the back wall. That closet wall was opposite (near as I'd figgured) the bedroom wall where the customer wanted this dang outlet. So, I start to drill...

And I drill and drill...

Man, I'm sweating like a pig-really leaning on this drill a lot, but can't make it through. Of course, I'd drilled into a freakishly hard cement wall with just a 3/8" drill and a masonary bit.

So, I'm grinding away at it, full pressure when the drill punches in and kind of bottoms out, sucking against the wall like somebody'd grabbed it. Tried to reverse it out, yanking on it, drilling forward while pulling back and no good! Its just stuck!

So I head around to the bedroom and look where I'd pulled the tv out from the wall and can't see my drillbit, no hole, nothing in sight. This mystery lasted awhile until I checked behind some furniture and found my hole had poked thru a good eight feet from where I'd wanted.
And why was my drill stuck??
I'd drilled right thru the back of a highboy dresser. Horrified, I pry the top drawer open and find this: the red-hot tip of the bit had punched thru the drawer back and instantly spun/welded itself in place with a glob of melted panties.

Surprising how fast you leap into action to diminish liability, but I covered my 'mistake' and finished up and finally got out of there.
Never told anyone, and heard nothing about it-I wonder if that customer's wife ever noticed she was a couple panties shy of a drawer full?
(wacky)
This is CABL.com posting #190022. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mXA2
Posted in reply to: Re: Two Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line by flynharry
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Two Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line redrocker80 5/10/2007 9:01:00 PM
Re: Two Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line joeatstellar 5/7/2007 12:01:00 AM
Re: Two Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line 1brikshyvtwin 5/6/2007 8:22:00 PM
Re: Two Killed After Cable Tech Hits Gas Line dsatelitmn 5/6/2007 6:40:00 PM