Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Note to all cable guy wanna be's

Now you know my feeling on unions. But even I will say that to get some part of those things you listed, you dont need a union. This industry lacks simple natural progression.

Natural means you go from, emplyoyee- to-sub-to-contractor.

As an employee youre thinking Ive taken 10-20 yrs to learn my craft, and the business. Its time for me to go out on my own and take more control of my destiny.

As a sub, you learn how the contracting game works, now its time for me to secure my own contracts. Taking even more control of your destiny

As a contractor, youve made it. You are 100% in control.

Things are out of whack here for many reasons. IMO, the biggest 2 things are, 1. People with no/little experience are allowed to be considered subs. Thats just not possible. How can you be a sub without putting in your time to learn the business/craft. These people are taken advantage of, and unfortunately this group of people make up a large percentage of the business.

Second thing is customer dictated pricing. How can you be a successful sub or company and you allow your customers to come into your store with a paper telling you how much your goods & services will cost them. How can you be a sub/company filling out applications?? Contractors bid jobs. You look at other business models in the telecom world you will see the process of gaining contracts works NOTHING like it does in this part of the telecom industry, and neither do the wages.

The way the CATV business operates is un-natural, un-real, and un-believable. This is all reflected in the wages and working conditions in CATV. They, too, are un-natural, un-real, and unbelievable. $3 to climb a pole and do a disco???? PUULLEAAAZZZ . (nono)
This is CABL.com posting #189168. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mXng
Posted in reply to: Re: Note to all cable guy wanna be's by voices
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Note to all cable guy wanna be's 1brikshyvtwin 4/22/2007 4:32:00 PM