Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: backwards splitter.........

Guys, TX is not talking about diplexers. In sat, you can have situations where you put splitters in backwards. One example was when I had two dual tuners near each other and both backfeeds from the receivers ran back to demarc. The TVs getting the backfeeds were on an adjacent wall to each other and only had one line back to the demarc. So, I put the two sat outputs on different channels and put them into the out ports of a two way splitter at the demarc. The in port was then connected to the line running to the two backfed tvs. I was carrying channel 25 and 27 from the receivers down that wire by using the splitter as a combiner.

Now, in cable the video only flows in one direction, so there really isn't a need to hook a splitter up backwards.

Splitters have isolation which can cause noise interference.

From input to either output 3.5db loss
From output to input 3.5db loss
From output to output about 35+ db of loss, also called 35db isolation

So, if you try to feed a signal from one output to another output, you will likely have poor video.

Also, some splitters have noise rejection, so if the levels aren't closely balanced, the splitter may attenuate the noise. In cable, you can have a +5 at ch 3 and a +12 at channel 60. Some splitters may start cutting the lower signal levels.

I haven't run into many backwards splitters in cable and the only time they caused problems was when the combined signals entered at different signal levels or when the cable signal was feeding from output to output.
This is CABL.com posting #188464. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mXbU
Posted in reply to: Re: backwards splitter......... by lostintx
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: backwards splitter......... voices 4/10/2007 10:06:00 PM
Re: backwards splitter......... lostintx 4/10/2007 9:59:00 PM