Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Are dawgs technicians? Are auditers dawgs?

Well said.

I personally find that thread ridiculous because it has no basis in fact. A "dawg" created the industry? since when... If you were to ask me, the job us 30 odd year installers did was far more difficult if one were to consider what we went through:

1) No prewired underground to speak of, and often times no burial crew. You did it your damn self as part of the installation. And not once or twice a week either, more like twice a day.

2) No prewiring to speak of, including many apartment units.

3) No customer understanding of what the hell we were carrying a drill into their home for. "You're going to do what to my wall??"

4) No customer understanding of what cable was or the deal with channel 3, the analog box and remote control. No liberty to assume the customer you were installing had any knowledge of what you were doing at all.

5) Until the FCC's late ninties adoption of signal quality standards, often times no signal to speak of.

6) Money was far harder to earn because even though rates were higher everything we did was brand new. No reconnects, no prewired a/o's, no prewired anything. Every job was a new installation from tap to TV. Also, there were no digital "bennies" which add value to todays routes.

I only wish I had the time or insulation from customers to be able to lay some bishop tape on top of my drill. Nah, scratch that. I can't imagine my smoking on the job.

And that one, folks, pretty much says it all. Like I said, I would rather be refered to as a professional.

All that said, I would never demean guys who started in this industry a couple or five years ago. I've met some quality people who started more recently then myself, while I also knew a bucketload from back when who did more damage to our industry and reputations then any positive contribution made.

WOOF!
This is CABL.com posting #187756. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mW0u
Posted in reply to: Re: Are dawgs technicians? Are auditers dawgs? by OPIES HERE
There are 0 replies to this message