Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Sumahit and I were talking.......

Greetings,

How is everyone, today?  I just came in  from  the road and i guess I am tired enough that I am not thinking clear, so I'll go ahead and offer my opinion, which is only based on my personal views and experiences.

I won't spend anytime rebutting the whole college, certification, and 'get a hair cut and be somebody line of garbage I read on here a couple days ago.  I will tell you how I was fortunate enough to continue increasing my worth in an industry that really doesn't recognise any value or worth in individuals, at all...and that is not all bad.  It is understandable, I know many people who love this trade and would not give it up for any other offer, (I am one) HOWEVER  anybody in the business came into to it for the money...only the money and we learned to love it later.  Everyone , all the way to the top is here for that reason and here is why they will attempt to keep as much of what they have as they can.  The less they pay out, the more they take home....okay, iknow I haven't said anything we all didn't know before...my point is this. Let's understand that and get over it.  I want to spend my time working for something and not ever become some one trying to squeeze out their existence and  wages by struggling against an imaginary ceiling, I wll not spend a minute trying to convince anyome what I think I am worth, how degrading and weak.  I know how to follow the money.  These people who shortchange others, pay low rates and QC the rest into the red are not my problem and never have been or will be, because when I am in that situation I know it is very temporary, very!  I try to keep my thoughts focused on an avenue of transition, using and appreciating all the work I can get.  In the past, I was thankful to have been indoctinated into this industry,always completing my work above industry standards, no matter what job it was, and at the same time, on the same job I watched the people who were making the money I was still dreaming about.  I would approach them and offer my help, usually for no-pay at all, work on weekends or rain days, when ever I could get away from the dead-end work I was doing, I went to work with someone making more than I was and if not within the same project, then my next job I would present myself as 'whatever', whatever I had been doing for the guy before.  I was a grunt for one  crew for only a short time.  When I went to the next crew I am a linesman,  soon I was Splicing, next I am a Sweep Tech....and I still work the same routine today, I look for people making the money I want, and I try to always stay in a group of people that have knowledge I desire.  I continue to do work for experience and knowledge.  I would continue doing your installs, disco's, audits, walk-out, mapping...whatever...anything...just keep me around these cats bustin a six figure income in less than a year and I will assure you soon, I am him.  I hope whatever project you are on you have some people who have been successful at their trade, I hope you all have the ambition to go after what you say you want.  It is there waiting for you, already.  Stop thinking you have to go wrestle it out of someone.  offer a small amount of labor for the know-how that will put you where you want to be.  You will also earn alot more respect this way, get to know some great people with lasting friendships.  If the money you want is not being offered at the level your at, know that you have been fortunate enough to come in at entry level and it is time to move on.  When I was seventeen I left the hardscratch farm I was born on and slicked my way into a maintenance position at a Uranium mine in Shirley Basin, Wyoming-1975, from there I went to work on the Off-shore Oil Rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and the North Sea for a few years until I was given the opportunity to lie my way into aerial construction.  When the owner of the company came into town I lied so good he gave me my own crew.  I went straight to the TCI office, purchased their construction manual for about a hundred dollars and began to work jobs above my experience and ability heading to where I thought I wanted to go and Iam still doing it to this day!

I wish you the best.

til then, Petergunn

Where there are no alternatives, there is no problem...Petergunn Lookstwice-2001.
This is CABL.com posting #185814. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mWva
Posted in reply to: Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... by FRACK IT
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... oldschoolgal 2/23/2007 2:38:00 PM