Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Overtime Ruling in Ohio

I just got off the phone with a buddy. He just emailed me this. Its part of a "ask a lawyer forum". People of different occupations were able to ask a lawyer how the Bush OT changes would effect their jobs. Also, some states were not effected by the Bush change in OT laws. Illinois, which is where I work, is one of those states not effected. Unfortunately, Ohio is effected by the change. Heres the email..........

Hello. I have a college degree and I work in the telecommunications industry for Comcast cable, and I was wondering if the regulations indeed affect the overtime that I work every week?

The questioner has a college degree, although it's not clear what field the degree is in. But many technicians may be negatively impacted by these new regulations because of the change to the "administrative" exemption. Under the new regulations, the definition of "primary duty" is loosened, so it is easier for an employer to claim that a technician's "primary duty" is directly related to the management or business operations of the employer. If an employee like the questioner is paid on a salaried basis he/she is at risk of losing his overtime protections. And as stated elsewhere, the changes to the definition of salaried basis may make it easier for the employer to treat him/her like an hourly employee but still technically characterize him as a "salaried" employee, thus passing a crucial test in the regulations.

This is CABL.com posting #185537. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mWqH
Posted in reply to: Re: Overtime Ruling in Ohio by Trey9007
There are 0 replies to this message