Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Has anyone though of a Co-op?

I suppose one could start a cable install shop where all employees get as much cut as possible and management consists of representatives of the employee installers. An outside accounting firm can set payroll, etc. based on the intended model.

You have to have management, its a necessary evil so it couldn't ever be a 100% shop but at least techs would be entirely aware that there aren't any upper-level managers in the process and thus no top-heavy organization.

I venture it would be quite a bit more successful than other shops in a sense that techs would certainly make more, thus permitting the shop to select cream of the crop technicians which would mean numbers pleasing to the cable company. It also means that any crap techs really harm all the techs, so the shop would be self-trimming in that nature. Techs could also enact some excellent benefits for themselves. Another thing to consider is that the shop can't accept paycuts without the agreement of the technicians, so none of this "we're getting paid less, so you all have to take a pay cut."

At the minimum, I think a company needs to have a lawyer draft up the business organization structure, an accounting firm needs to be hired, some managers hired, etc.
This is CABL.com posting #185223. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mWlD
Posted in reply to: Has anyone though of a Co-op? by freeman
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Has anyone though of a Co-op? vegassatellite 2/12/2007 9:40:00 PM