Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Adding HD to a system Question

You are probably right in your logic there PB.

A couple of questions/possible solutions as well. To save you a little reading...I think 3) is going to be your best bet, from what you've said.

1) I assume you are using 256QAM?? Just want to be sure its not 64QAM.

2) You said you are using the Videotek DM...is there an interface or GUI for the DM to set the ASI output Transport Stream rate?? 19.39Mbps would be the max needed, if it is possible to set.

Reason I ask this, is because in theory, you 'could' be able to send both of your OA streams through the same 6 MHz carrier.

Possible issues with doing this...a) The DM is sending a larger ASI TS rate than 19.39 in one or both(or at least more than the 38.81Mbps, the limit of the 256 QAM carrier) streams you want to pass-through the same carrier. Or b) There is an MPEG conflict between the 2 streams. Meaning the SEM(and any other device like it) cannot pass the same MPEG number to the same ouput carrier/stream.

More than likely, you may not be able to do this...but it could save you some time, if possible.

3) It sounds like you are using the VOD Mapping mode. I am not as familiar with your options there...but do you have a Manual Routing table available to you? I believe it is the 3rd menu from the left in the main menu of the SEM EM. If this isnt available to you in VOD Mode, there is another mode you can use...but I cant recall it's exact name. If you list them off, I could probably pick it out...wish I had one in front of me to help more on that.

In any event, once you are able to use the Manual Routing table, you'll just fill out the form basically. So you'd go to the first table entry, check to enable it, select the input port, selct the output, and the MPEG #'s on the in/out sides. If one of your IN/OUT options are not available to you, and you know you've set them up already...you might need to reboot the SEM. Anything like IN/OUT or changing modes of the SEM requires a reboot, as I recall it.

As for the MPEG #'s...they might be available from the Videotek interface/GUI, they may call it the Program ID(or PID), or some other similar name.

Or the easier way might be to call the local broadcaster's transmission facility, if you have access & just ask them what MPEG #'s do they use in their m-plex. You could also guess at these, if you want to try something quick...odds are they might be something like MPEG 1, 2, 3...or 101, 102, 103.

Let me know if you need any more details on some this stuff. I dont have a SEM in front of me, but it hasnt been too long since I did. This sounds like something that you should be able to get up & running, hopefully, quickly.
This is CABL.com posting #184231. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mV5D
Posted in reply to: Re: Adding HD to a system Question by parkerbama
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Adding HD to a system Question parkerbama 1/30/2007 9:29:00 AM