Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Illegal Alien kills Marine on leave from Iraq!

I agree, we gotta get them out the work place. But heres what I see may be a problem. Im using this industry as an example.

Cable & Sat rates have been dropping for years. Cables been dropping the last 20 yrs, and sat the last 15 yrs or so. Illegals have just recently started to be an issue, so if we do get rid of them what will be accomplished, as far as the work place. The illegals will be gone, but the ones responsible for the majority of rate cauts will still be here.

Sat prices were at 1 time around 100/25, the rates have dropped to about 60/15. Some lower. Theres an increased scoope of work that has come with this pay cut. Gas, supplies, and other costs have also increased. Put all these factors together and you will see installers have recieved about an 80% rate decrease. Only about the last 15% of that 80% cut have illegals been apart of. My point is we as Americans ( workers and companies) have done WAY more damage to our industry than the illegals, so I seriously doubt when they are gone that things will improve all that much.

IMO, this industry has many people who are willing to work for cheap if it guarantees them steady work. They then pound their chests that they are the best and thats why the work comes to them, and not those who require more money to accept the work. They somehow ignore the fact that being cheap is why they got the work. This industry, as well as some others, has yet to learn that dropping your rates does not put you in good with the corporate fat cats. Youve done nothing but lower the bar, and give them a new lower target to reach for in regards to wages. As we now see, after all the cuts we have agreed to, they were STILL constantly looking for someone even cheaper. Thats why illegals here.

If were gonna fix the problem of unemployment and declining wages and other workforce issues, MAYBE we should concentrate more of our energy on the BIGGEST contributors to the problem, and my brothas Im here to tell you it is NOT the illegals.

But since they are a nice target group everyone can rally against, they will continue to be the main focus......Hmmmm....I wonder who capitalizes off of this misdirection anger.....

This is CABL.com posting #180273. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mU3N
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Illegal Alien kills Marine on leave from Iraq! oldschooldbstech 12/4/2006 9:07:00 AM