Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Cable modem installation

Hey Joe,

While not doing HSD installs anymore (yes, I still say HSD - so BACK OFF ;-) )...I know more about them than a lot of people out there...so I will tell you this...for some reason, the lower your signal, the faster your connection. If you've got a signal of +6 on your HSD carrier, you're going to run a little slow...if you have something like -10 or -11 on your HSD carrier, you're going to fly. You don't want to go anything lower than -13 though...and yes, the correct thing to do is use an directional coupler.

I always used to put a DC in the house box, run 2 lines in, 1 for video and 1 for HSD. The thru leg of the DC (losing 1db) would go to the video side and all those splitters, and the down leg (losing 4,6,9, or 12 db) would go to the HSD outlet. I did it this way after getting gigged for not putting in a DC, now when they looked at my work, they knew it was there. I was also the only guy to routinely get 100% QC's and 0 trouble calls.

Hope that helps,

Joe
It was then that Caroline remembered her kitchen back in Montana, with a stove that she might or might not have turned off, and so with a heavy sigh, she put down the penguin.
This is CABL.com posting #180158. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mU1W
Posted in reply to: Cable modem installation by Joe50
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Cable modem installation ybsane 12/1/2006 3:20:00 PM