Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Looking for SMATV HD Help

Not sure if you found a solution yet...but here's a shot for what its worth.

Your biggest issue here is cost. I'm not sure how much you want to spend on this...it sounds like the idea would be no more than absolutely necessary?

I may not completely understand some dynamics in your system, but it sounds like, on the surface, that you have a series of Dish receivers outputting analog video to analog mods 2-63 or so. You also do not want, and havent yet, put in a CAS with STB's. These are my assumptions.

You can do 2 somewhat reasonable things that I can think of...
1) Take the RF ch 3 output of the Dish HD receiver & send it to a transmodulator. Blonder Tongue makes lower cost items like this, but there are others if you dont like them.
2) Take the component video outputs & convert them to SMPTE310...then send to a typical 8VSB modulator. This may be more expensive of the 2.

Also, just an FYI if your customers ask...ESPN HD is not broadcasted in 1080i...it is 720p straight from the uplink...so you'll never truly have 1080i for it, without using an "emulated" version like what the receiver or even the TV itself can sometimes do, but the picture will look no better for it, although it can make flipping channels quicker.

I'm also puzzled by your statement of upconverting & downconverting changing it to 480p? Maybe there are other details I dont know about that led you to that conclusion, but RF up/down conversion does not change resolution of the MPEG video stream itself...without decoding & re-encoding. Maybe you mean the Dish receiver you have is decoding it this way...but that should be adjustable if it can even decode HD video.

I hope that's a little helpful.
This is CABL.com posting #179576. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mUSy
Posted in reply to: Looking for SMATV HD Help by woodybeetle
There are 0 replies to this message