Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Need help on Bidding

most contracts are somewhere between 60/40 and 40/60 contractor/sub respectively. i'd look at who gave you the prices for what the sub is getting and who they work for. are they experienced, or trying to work out of a 75 pinto? are they working for a very large company or a brand new outfit? either way there is a good chance that their prices either reflect a high overhead, or a green negotiation. are you doing more than the trap swap? doesn't sound like it, so this is a special project, tight deadline, that means more money. if you can't get a good price, can you afford to run this at 30/70? my guess is no, that is such a fantastically low percentage to the prime. if you go too low you probably won't get the project, because the mso will know you don't know what you are getting into. if you were to get it, everyone is right, you will get screwed by false billings on a project WAY too large to catch all of until you've failed and blown your reputation. look at what the subs are getting. make your own call, but i'd figure the prime is getting 50/50 just to keep your bid down, so double what the sub is getting and there is your price. if you are the only one on this job then you can multiply that price times the number of traps to be swapped. you will more than likely have to offer incentives to crews as someone will be skimming from the guy at the bottom. after all of this is said and done, can you come close to the deadline knowing that you will have to pay your guys at least close to on time or you'll be without subs before the project ends?

ps i've never bid a job in my life, and i'm sure that someone will be glad to call me on my ignorance of the process. pay attention to those people, but don't forget that in this industry all you ever really have is your tools and your reputation.

good luck, i'd love to hear that you got the contract and got it done well enough to get more work. it's nice to see someone with balls, hopefully you've got the brains to go with it.
This is CABL.com posting #178740. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mUE4
Posted in reply to: Need help on Bidding by crazycableguy
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Need help on Bidding lostintx 11/9/2006 6:20:00 PM