Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: transition to splicing

In my opinion you have to look at the future, splicing isn't what it used to be, everything is built, MSO's want extension work done by turn key crews, you have these up-grades popping up now and then but with all the talent waiting to ponce you'll never get close to them, it's a buyers market out there and only the best of the best get on retro's anymore because of everything you have to deal with concerning 2 way systems, you'll always have your hacks but we all know who they are and they don't last long on a project unless related, believe me I've been on those 2 AM calls in the middle of the winter because of some hack or green bean.
Now, and as I stated you have to look at the future, where do you want to be in 10-15 years? There are a couple ways to go, first get on board with a MSO, if your a team player you'll work your way up through the ranks, meaning they will teach you how to splice, you'll learn construction, they'll pay for your certs, but more importantly you'll have a secure future for you and your family. Now if you feel like running around the country chasing the carrot get into FTTP, if you're going to want to splice go with glass. As I see it, more and more out fits are going in this direction, if you look at the industry as a whole there's really not a lot of coax splicing going on, and as others have stated is that there is a lot to learn these days in order to get into splicing. So you have to weigh your options as to what is going to be the biggest pay off when your 55 years old as I stated, just an opinion.
it's easyer to ask for forgiveness than permission
This is CABL.com posting #178014. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mUtm
Posted in reply to: transition to splicing by lostintx
There are 0 replies to this message