Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: America is dead

This is an add I placed in my local paper the day before I placed a 17 ft. CHRISTMAS TREE in my living room. I agree with you on many issues.... BRAVO To whom it may concern,
I asked a Wal-Mart employee if she had put up her Christmas tree Yet? Just in passing conversation at the checkout counter. She then proceeded to inform me that she was not allowed to say Christmas tree, that it is now a holiday tree. If she said “merry Christmas” or Christmas tree she would be terminated on the spot. She is usually extremely talkative and chipper so I actually thought she was joking. Until I talked to my father and he confirmed that he had seen something to that effect on the news. Well, it’s just so ridiculous in the extreme that I found it hilarious. Until Christmas day, when I found at least four channels debating the separation of church and state. This letter is not based on the premise of religion, I am an American. After that statement there really isn’t anything to debate. I am protected under my first amendment rights. And I quote “ Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech.” I will freely admit that I do not attend church on a regular basis although I do believe in God. I do not see my neighbor, friends, and family across from me in a church pew. I have run into them quite often at the theater viewing the new Christmas movies such as The 12 days of Christmas eve, shopping at local malls for gifts, buying Rudolf the red nosed reindeer, stockings for the fireplace, visiting Santa Claus and lastly stopping at beauty shops finishing the last minute touch ups before the relatives descend upon them. Therefore I do not see the problem, you see Christmas has taken on a whole new meaning for Americans. It is no longer just a matter of religion but one of tradition. When I consider visiting other countries one of the top attractions on my list are major monuments. So that I may learn about their country and traditions. I would never be insulted that these traditions were in progress during my visit. And if I chose to reside in that country I would never expect those traditions to be changed for my benefit no matter what my religion may be. Last time I checked Rudolf the red nosed reindeer was created for a catalog here in the U.S. the use of tinsel, candy canes and the first artificial tree originated in Germany, Santa Claus originated in Turkey, Christmas Cards originated in England, and Yule logs originated in Great Britain. The United States Of American is truly the “melting pot”. Our traditions are a kaleidoscope derived of many cultures combined. And no matter how many debates or discussions take place our Constitutional rights will not change…These very laws and traditions are the reason that many of our countrymen after fleeing persecution and unspeakable acts in their former countries chose to become U.S. citizens. I may be one out of many, but, unlike millions of other human beings in the world. I have “certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of Happiness” And everything about the Christmas holiday makes me happy. So, if anyone thinks for one moment that I am not going to be putting up my Christmas tree next year because, I might offend someone with another religion or preference. The joke is truly on them.

American Citizen
This is CABL.com posting #176946. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mUb8
Posted in reply to: America is dead by TDD1
There are 0 replies to this message