Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: contractor or employee: where's the line?

There is a line. The line is being ignored by most companies in this industry. The only way this will stop is if everyone goes to the right government agencies, and let them tell you if the company has crossed the line. Companies have no reason to do this on their own, although most RESPONSIBLE companies do, as they want to make sure they are obeying the law. Also companies in other industrys arent blessed with a workforce like ours, that doesnt mind our rights being totaly ignored as our industry wages go to the toilet. Companies in this business take full advantage of the workers non-action on this and other issue. I guess in this new Walmartalized America, who can blame them.

If Im one of these companies, Im loving us. I can call you a contractor, control you like an employee, while all the time you actually cost me less than a $13/hr employee. You are at my mercy. I can cut the pay and increase the scope of work, and you are under the impression you can do nothing. You think youre a contractor, so you think you cant unionize or utilize any employment laws that are there to protect employees (which you really are). You probably wont quit, because you THINK youre a contractor and wont be eligible for unemployment. They even try to tell us we are contractors because we have the right to not accept these terms and leave. When all they have just done is describe "AT WILL EMPLOYMENT"!! A complete contradiction of the BS, we are contractor lines, they are feeding us. Boy, are they loving us. There is no reason for them to change their ways. They've got it made.

They can keep low-balling rates to get work from the MSO's and platform providers. They can do this because our non-action allows them to lower our rates while their profit margin stays the same. Then they even have us being proud of it. Get R dunn, we say. They even have the nerve to scratch their heads and ask "where has all the good talent gone". As if they are suprised people dont feel its right to accept pay-cut after pay-cut. Amazing.

They have all this power. Theyve done all this damage to the quality of jobs in this industry. It could all be stopped if 1 thing would happen, people taking action. Of all the techs that companies have scrwed, if 1% of them took action, it would change things. Just Imagine if 1% of all of us take action.

Young fellas, you arent getting Social Security credits, while your being illegaly 1099'd. You have to start thinking about things like this. YOu have no pension, 401K, or hardly enough compensation to start your own IRA. Be careful. Take action. Work to get something out of a trade you are willing to give so much to. Dont let your hard work and labor serve as some old cable dawg's, who get incorporated, pension.

This is CABL.com posting #173480. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mTie
Posted in reply to: Re: contractor or employee: where's the line? by Trey9007
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: contractor or employee: where's the line? kablegod 8/7/2006 9:49:00 AM