Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Fiber splicing basics?

If you are serious about the schooling, don't sign up for one of these 4 four day or even 4 week fiber optic schools. Go to a real technical school (where you get a degree, not a certificate) for Telecommunications ( I know this may not even be an option becuase of life but it won't be a waste of money...). I've had kids come through after these "fiber certification" classes that they spent $4k on and after watching them I won't even let them turn the machine on anymore ( in fact, most of them are installers now...).

The kids that come from the technical school don't have much more hands on but they understand the theory behind everything and the rest is just working out the mechanics. Not to mention when you get tired of traveling, you have a pretty good shot at going in-house somewhere because of education and experience.

Splicing is tough right now. If you're an installer and you're making money - I'd stay there. Unless you can get hired on with someone who has EXPERIENCED techs that will train you. I would not recommend getting into this industry on your own without a few years of experience under your belt. It'll be an expensive adventure.
This is CABL.com posting #173205. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mTdN
Posted in reply to: Re: Fiber splicing basics? by SunMoonNStars
There are 0 replies to this message