Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Something to consider

Youve touched on a point I find very interesting. Many people bash unions because they feel they will bargain for bad techs to be retrained. I think many of you see it as the union is savings a hacks job.

What we have now is a system of chargebacks. Techs does something wrong on Tuesday. Wed he is chargedbacked but is still working. How is this better than having the option of retraining the tech. The companies in the business have ALL the power right now. Instead of doing something to make the guy better, they charge him back and leave him in the field. How is this better for the trade. Seems to me the company's only worry is $$$. They dont care about the talent level of the trade as long as they can make sure the actions of a bad tech doesnt cost them money.

Right now there is very little union activity in cable/sat. The companies have sole discretion of which way this trade can go. They create creative ways of chargebacking, but why is there not the same creativity when it comes to improving the talent level. What do the companies in this trade do to promote better training, safety, and other things to keep good talent in the trade. I see nothing, or very little at the most. Why is the companies in this business dont work with the techs to promote training and education. Companies could do this, but they choose no to. Why? The most important qualification seems to be that you have a "Late model Truck or Van" and a pulse.

I could be wrong. Maybe,

Lower Pay + More Advanced Products + Higher Cost of Living + Increased Scope of Work

Is the formula for attracting and retaining experienced worker.

This is CABL.com posting #171695. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSPr
Posted in reply to: Re: Something to consider by sumahit
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Something to consider sumahit 7/11/2006 1:59:00 AM