Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Latest news on Verizon

While I agree with the premise of 20mb not seeming like much today for some higher BW apps which will become more popular over time, I disagree with the notion that these same apps will occupy or require as much or more BW as they do today.

To the contrary... high quality video conferencing, as well as other more bw consuming apps are decreasing their need for bw with better codecs & algorithms. My opinion of course, is that its much more realistic to expect digital video equipment manufacturers to build encoding equipment for lower bw, reasonable quality, streaming video apps...rather than wait for countless internet infrastructure providers (this is not limited to MSOs) to overbuild their systems to support these apps.

For further evidence of this...see AT&T, US West/Qwest, Bellsouth and I'm sure others who are still using the VDSL-type of delivery method...which is nowhere even close to 20mb of total bw to the house, let alone, just internet.

I don't dismiss the need for higher bw than 20mb...eventually maybe...but like everything, it will hit that happy median, where apps & capacity raise & lower to compensate for each other. What that end result happy median is...is debatable.
This is CABL.com posting #170150. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSqw
Posted in reply to: Re: Latest news on Verizon by Waiting out the Storm
There are 0 replies to this message