Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Lastest news on Verizon

I agree with the article's basic statements, but I disagree with the assesment that catv "techs" are going to suffer, or need to watch out. Honestly, the RBOC's getting into the video business means more competition for the talent in CATV, and it's contractors...eventually.

As the article stated, it took Verizon's guys all day to install. That will flat out not get the job done. They will be contracting these out at some point, they just need their inhouse guys to get up to speed on how it's done, so they can service it.

The only people that may suffer are major shareholders and the CEO-types. The average worker-bee will be better off for the competition. Verizon has already been hiring HE techs and the like to support their new video HE's, and will continue to do this as they expand. This just means more demand for catv folks...because at the end of the day, their system is closer to catv, than some buzz word like "IPTV". Plus, I've yet to find a good catv guy, that couldn't pick up the telco style of video.

You may not know me from Adam, but trust me when i say...the 2 aren't as different as they seem, and like catv, the telcos will need to contract & hire to support these systems.
This is CABL.com posting #170067. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSpb
Posted in reply to: Re: Lastest news on Verizon by nrb1
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Latest news on Verizon nrb1 6/13/2006 8:21:00 PM
Re: Lastest news on Verizon solutionscntr 6/13/2006 5:16:00 PM