Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Cheap labor

Wow, what a cool topic.
Perhaps at one time this was a Nation of strength, towards our economic values and to our own ability to govern and make available the freedoms which we were granted. As an adult (35) I dont see this. I see that the "point the finger and look the other way" attitude has grown into most of our veins.

Is it the fact that illegals are doing jobs that "most of us wont do"? Heck no. It is the fact that the term "labor" has been cheapened, by category (ditch digging, lid tightening, whatever) so much that the wage for once proud ditch diggers and lid tighteners like our grandparents and great grandparents used to do proudly have all been wiped off the face of the scale of what we could call a livelihood. The real reason is the employer who cannot pay a legal citizen the wage he or she deserves to to merchandise or grow his crop or do his cable (pun intended) or lay his bricks. Norman Rockwell is rolling over in his grave.

The lynch pin in this is that economy is also cheapened materially and almost overnight by setting a standard of pay available from the "next guy that will do it for cheaper" scenario. Economic value. .One price goes down, the other shoe drops. The only people who gain are the owners OF owners of companies. (Can someone say Mastec, not that THEY are hiring illegals YET, but they are as guilt of impoverishing our economic value as any)

As for the illegals? The "look at me, I am poor or half-enabled or disliked" mindset creates the bleeding hearts to look, and the illegals to gain attitude towards and even anger towards this hypocrisy. So, we accept it as meritable fact that this IS happenning. Bad choice.

I just moved from near the border to almost into Canada, wine country, still shocked over how much this whole thing is taking place even here. There was a Mexican rally last month yelling the urges of the Mixican people for thier rights. They have as much right as John Q. Doe, as long as it is done within the reason that is IS legal.

People as a group and whole are powerful, demand attention and get it in the newspaper. Become more powerful. Try to fight anything as one and you become recalcitrant.

Yes, the border NEEDS to be locked, forever. Our children need to become ditch diggers and earn a sense of pride of doing that. To work fast food or mow yards is NOT a shameful thing but is always worth the effort. People in the hindreds lined up to work and build the Hoover Dam for pennies, but wait-that was the 20's when there was nothing called outsourcing or "cheap labor". My grandmother put rivits into WWII airplanes, she was proud of this "mindless job" though she never called it that. My daughter would never DO that for anything she says. Ergo the problem.

Maybe someone will creat a job for "border fence builders" I doubt it, but count me in though-I dont know much about huge fences but I will sure as hell learn.

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH! Glad to get it out!!!!! I feel better now.
This is CABL.com posting #169517. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSgj
Posted in reply to: Cheap labor by Cablemon
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Cheap labor bushmaster 6/4/2006 9:36:00 AM