Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Union?

Trey......I said most make at least 1000.00 per week. I did not say whether or not I thought that was good, nor did I touch on any of the other embellishments you claim. My main issue is that I was in a Union once and they did not take care of us. Every experience I have personally and professionally had with Unions was negative to say the least. I like the idea of higher wages and benefits, who doesn't. I do agree that prices are low, and that there are a lot of crooks in this business, but we all have the right to say no thank you if we don't want to do the work. I will not compromise my principles to be popular.

As someone said earlier, if you don't like the business get out. Those who know what they are doing do get paid what they are worth in many circumstances here. Why else would there be so many contractors trying to get work. The bad prices will bite both customer and contractor who excepts them in the rear. Then they have to call the real professionals who said they could not work for those prices and ask them to help. This is where the benchmark for success is created.

Look, if a bunch of hacks work and do a poor job of it, it costs twice as much to fix. Perhaps a compromise is in order. Better yet, would be the bid process, as it was. We can all throw our proposals on the table and let the client decide who is best suited for the job. Some will of coarse select the cheapest, but most professionals will put more stock in the content of the proposal and the knowledge each group has of that particular type of work. That would save many people enough money to get things back to the way they were, and hacks would once again be driven out of town. Of coarse a lot of people are going to disagree, because it is hard to take the fact that a line card would be replaced by a bid. But, if a true analysis was done the clients would see that they would a lot of time and a lot of money simply by doing things right the first time.

Furthermore, the liability would be with the winning bidder. If he/she ends up finding that they bid too low...it's their own fault, not the clients, and they have to finish the job. If they do not finish, do a good job, and ask for more money for the same SOW....they are hacks who do not know what they are doing, it will show, and no one will hire them again. You get what you pay for.
This is CABL.com posting #169412. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSeC
Posted in reply to: Re: Union? by Trey9007
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Union? prewired 6/2/2006 6:56:00 PM