Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: I have to ask

I think a major issue is that many companies in your position do not negoitiate contracts, with primes or whoever it is, that will put you in the best position to attract and retain good talent. Too many companies accept sub-par contracts which means you are going to have to offer installers a sub-par or one sided contract, which means youre probably going to attract sub-par talent. Which means you have raised your chances for failure.

In this industry, the remedy for bad installers is one sided contracts. As you said, companies use these contracts to protect themselves from the harm a bad installer can bring. IMO that is not remedy. Its just a band-aid on a gun shot wound. Whats needed is standards in training. As a company you need some way to better your chances of attracting good talent. You need access to better pool of talent.

This is why I feel unions can not only be good for installers, but can also be good for companies. If the companies in this industry worked with the installers in this industrty to come up with training programs and certs, it would give you a better talent pool. Since you helped put the training program together, you would know those who hold a card saying they successfully passed the training, will give you and your business a better chance to succeed.

Unfortunately, there is no 1 way to insure success in business. If it was there would be alot more Trumps. The only thing you can do is put your company in the best possible position to succeed. In this business everyone uses the 1 one-sided contract, but the 1 sided contract will not better your chances of attracting good talent. It does the opposite.

My suggestion

Companies need to form an Association

Installers need to form a union

The union and Association need to develop 1st class training programs and certs, and negotiate a contract with 1st class pay and working conditions. This gives companies access to a better talent pool, improves the conpany's chances of attracting and retaining good talent, and gives workers more skills, better pay and better working conditions .

This formula IMO, puts both companies and installers, in the best possible position to achieve thier goals of making good, honest money. If not the best position, definitely in a better position than they are in now.
This is CABL.com posting #168116. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRTI
Posted in reply to: Re: I have to ask by sumahit
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: I have to ask sumahit 5/15/2006 10:22:00 PM