Create your free account now! Sign up

Citizenship Quiz

This is mainly for crawl!! If you need the answers, let me know.(usa)
People from foreign countries can become U.S. citizens if they complete a process called naturalization.

To be naturalized, a person must meet certain requirements:
• Be at least 18 years old
• Have lived in the U.S. as a legal resident for at least 5 years
• Be of good moral character and loyal to the U.S.
• Be able to read, write, speak and understand basic English
• Have basic knowledge and understanding of the history, government structure and the Constitution of the U.S.
• Be willing to take an oath of allegiance to the U.S.

Naturalization consists of three steps.
Filing an application
An application to file a petition for naturalization is obtained at no charge from the local Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) office. Three forms are needed. Application form - It must be filled out completely and truthfully. Applicants will be asked to give their answers under oath when they appear for the examination. If the answers are not truthful, the applicant may not be granted citizenship. Biographic information sheet - It contains information similar to the application form. Fingerprint chart - Applicants need to fill in personal information (such as name, address and birth date) on the fingerprint chart. Fingerprints can be taken at a police station, sheriff's office or some INS offices. The applicant must sign the fingerprint chart in the presence of the person taking the fingerprints. The person taking the fingerprints signs the chart also. Along with the application, a biographic information sheet and fingerprint chart, the applicant must have three unsigned photographs of his or her face.

Taking the Naturalization Examination
The INS will review the application package and schedule an interview for the applicant. The examiner will ask applicants questions about their applications and will help file the petition for naturalization, which is filed in the naturalization court. Applicants need to pay a fee when filing the petition if they pass the naturalization examination. The examiner asks the applicant some questions about the U.S. system of government and U.S. history to see if the applicant has basic knowledge of these subjects. The applicant does not have to be able to read or write English to pass this part of the examination. To take a quiz including some typical questions immigrants are asked on the U.S. citizenship test. (See below). The examiner also will test the applicant's English reading and writing skills by giving a simple dictation test. The applicant also will be asked to sign his or her name in English. Two types of applicants do not have to take the English literacy examination. These are applicants who are physically unable to read or write or who are 50 years old or more and have lived in the U.S. as a permanent legal resident for 20 years or more.

Appearing for a court hearing
After the examination is complete and the petition is filed, the applicant must appear in court for a final hearing. The examiner tells the judge that the applicant is qualified for naturalization and should be made a citizen. If the examiner believes that the applicant is not qualified for naturalization, the applicant can appear at the final hearing, with a lawyer, if desired. The applicant can ask the judge for citizenship. The judge will listen to the applicant's reasons and will decide on naturalization. If an applicant cannot appear to meet the examiner to file the petition or cannot appear in court because of an illness or physical disability, it may be possible for other arrangements to be made. When it has been decided that an applicant is to become a citizen, the applicant must take an oath of allegiance or loyalty to the US. Upon taking the oath, the applicant promises to support and defend the US Constitution and the laws of the United States of America. After the oath of citizenship is taken, the judge signs an order granting naturalization. The new citizen is given a certificate or naturalization-the official paper showing the person is a U.S. citizen.

The Oath:
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God. In acknowledgement whereof I have hereunto affixed my signature.

Citizenship Quiz

What do the strips on the flag mean?
a. They represent the largest states in the union
b. They represent the original 13 states.
c. They represent all the wars the U.S. has fought.
d. They honor our first 13 presidents.
2. Which countries were our enemies during World War II?
a. Russia, China and Japan
b. Germany, Austria and Belarus
c. Norway, Sweden and Switzerland
d. Germany, Italy and Japan
3. Who elects the president?
a. American people directly elect the president.
b. The Electoral College.
c. U.S. Senators
d. The United Nations\
4. Who becomes president if the president and vice president die?
a. Dan Rather
b. The first lady
c. Speaker of the House of Representatives
d. The Senate Majority Leader
5. Name three right or freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.
a. Right to free speech, press and religion
b. Right to peaceable assembly, request a change of government and freedom from unreasonable search and seizure
c. Right to a speedy and public trial in all criminal prosecutions, right of the people to keep and bear arms and freedom from any soldier, in time of peace, to be quartered in any house
d. All of the above
6. Who said “Give me liberty or give me death?”
a. Mike Wallace
b. Ronald Reagan
c. George Washington
d. Patrick Henry
7. Who was Martin Luther King Jr?
a. A civil rights leader
b. The fourth president
c. Part of President Richard Nixon’s cabinet
d. A senator from Mississippi
8. Which president is called the “Father of our Country?”
a. Abraham Lincoln
b. George Washington
c. Franklin D. Roosevelt
d. John F. Kennedy
9. Which president freed the slaves?
a. Abraham Lincoln
b. George Washington
c. Franklin D. Roosevelt
d. John F. Kennedy
10. How many changes or amendments are there to the Constitution?
a. 27
b. 21
c. 29
d. 18

See how you rate.
8-10 correct: You should run for president!
6-7 correct: A true citizen
4-5 correct: Missed one too many social studies classes.
2-3 correct: You do know this is the United States, right?
0-1 correct: You should have studied for this test!
This is CABL.com posting #167047. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRCt
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Citizenship Quiz uboatcmdr 5/2/2006 10:31:00 PM
Re: Citizenship Quiz kong 5/2/2006 5:40:00 PM
Re: Citizenship Quiz vegassatellite 5/2/2006 2:34:00 PM