Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: hard on illegals?

"Gonna have to read and digest that one, Trey9007. But I will tell you what I saw on the news yesterday regarding illegals driving wages down - this is a meat cutter position in particular - because there are so many illegals doing this job in many areas of the country, the wages were driven down from - get this- in the 1980s it paid $19/hour.....now, because employers can get away with it, the wage is down to $9/hour...."

Tell me. Whats the difference between this and the rate drops in cable/sat. Sat rates were 100/25, 100/50 10 years ago. Now they are 70/20, 60/15 with an increased scope of work. Remember this is just 10 years!!!! Not 20 like the meat cutters.

Same thing in cable. Not only have the rates gone down, but the product is a more advanced product. Figure that one out!! I mean, meat is meat, but the cable plant of today is doing things the cable plant of the 80's couldnt do. It also is generating more revenue.

Whats the difference?? Our logic here is we can work more hours to make up for the pay cut. Same thing for the meat cutters. If they work more 50-60 work weeks, they can make up some of the difference of the pay cut. Then they can get to say how proud they are, that they are willing to work such long hours to provide for their family,just like we do. They get to say how those who want better wages are just cry babys, just like we do.

BTW, ask yourself why the pay for meat cutters was 19/hr in the 80's. I think I know why.. Also has the price of meat gone up or down since they got use of the cheap labor? Its gone up. Sounds just like our business, if you ask me. We aint illegals, but the difference between us and them, as far as effects on labor prices, seem to be pretty similar. Why is that?
This is CABL.com posting #166831. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRyZ
Posted in reply to: Re: hard on illegals? by Wife of a cable guy
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: hard on illegals? Wife of a cable guy 4/29/2006 1:25:00 PM