Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: hard on illeagles?

Howdy Warren!! My intent was not to have anyone focused on unions. My intent is to try and understand how we are in a position to say illegals cause labor prices to drop when we work for the cheapest rates in the telecom industry. Sorry that you feel if I merely acknowledge unions exist I am some how promoting them. Do me a favor and dont focus on the union part of my scenario, which was about 5% of the post. Focus on the other 95%, the fact that our rates drop while our scope of work and cost of doing installs go up and we do nothing, and then criticize illegals who do the same thing.

As for organizing in Chicago, its been tough. The company we are going after treats the techs terrible. They have a very high turn over rate, which makes it tough on organizing attempts. We were up to 20% of the guys comming to meetings but now many of them have quit the company. They just couldnt take it any longer. As for myself I will be leaving the satellite business soon. Once the union and AT&T finish up negotiating the wages for the "premise installer" job tittle here, I will be going after that job. Its paying close to $30/HR in other places where negotiations have been completed. After a few years back on the payroll my previous years in the bell system will be given back to me. Thats 6 years. Very important in terms of seniority and pension.

In the event I dont get that position I am signing up down at the electricians hall. Whatever happens my goal is to make 2006 my last year on this side of the fence. I just cant take it anymore. Watching guys accept 70/20 and less with mandatory phones lines was it for me. I cant be a part of this any longer. Most people dont want change, they are satisfied with constant rate drops. Working non union sux. To be honest I would rather sit the bench at the union hall, than continue to work for the peanuts satellite work is paying.

Nothing good ever happens to installers. All changes made always have a negative effect on the installer. So Im sure youre happy to hear Il be outta here soon.
This is CABL.com posting #166813. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRyH
Posted in reply to: Re: hard on illeagles? by warrenrf
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: hard on illeagles? warrenrf 4/30/2006 1:47:00 PM
Re: hard on illeagles? FrzFram1 4/29/2006 5:47:00 PM
Re: hard on illegals? crawl2much 4/29/2006 12:22:00 AM