Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: hard on illegals?

There are union cable MSO employees who make the pay I used in my example. I have posted their contract before. There arent that many of them. Which was one of the points I was getting at. These guys risk their jobs and stand up to have a voice. Non union cheaper cable workers make their struggle harder, just like illegal makes the struggle harder. Im just trying to understand why many have strong feelings about the negative effect illegals have on labor prices, but turn the other way when American workes do the same thing.

I realize they shouldnt be here illegaly in the first place. Im just concentrating on the things everyone says about their effect on labor prices. I just read a post where a guy says he was kicked off a job site because he wasnt union, so he did his work off hours. My guess is that he was cheaper than the union labor. So he worked off hours to help what ever customer break their agreement, when off hour work should be paid more than day work. He proudly admits of helping someone violate a labor contract. No one said anything about it either. I think most of us commend him for it. I just find things like this interesting. If it was said illegals came on a job site and did the same thing this place would go crazy.

It seems to me the non uion cable/sat worker claim to fame is that we are the cheapest, and if immigrants are allowed to perform our work they threaten to take our tittle as the cheapest and will therefore get all our work. I could be wrong, but this is how I see it.

Illegals are in a position where they pretty much have to accept whatever pay and working conditions are handed to them. They can be forced to work less than min wage, they work in conditions OSHA would not approve, and have no voice in the work place. They cant complain to anyone, so they are taken advantage of.

The american worker is covered by some of the best labor laws in the world, but yet most of them dont use it. They have a way to bargain fair wages, but dont use them. Instead they accept lower pay with a higher cost of business. They will accept doing a job for $16/ hr when a guy doing the same job gets 24/hr because he joined a union and was able bargain his wages and get it put in a contract. I just find it interesting.
This is CABL.com posting #166795. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRyp
Posted in reply to: Re: hard on illegals? by Wife of a cable guy
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: hard on illegals? Dcableservices 4/29/2006 6:48:00 AM