Create your free account now! Sign up

Feeling Old Skool

Geez, cable's changed a lot OR Man, I must be getting OLD!
I remember a 12 channel system. Coil traps for The Star Channel. Remember .412 feeder and pressure taps? Microwave fed hub distribution? 30VDC Jerrold Gear? I remember when the return path was the road back to the pad. Used to be you had dielectric stuck to the centerconductor, you'd naturally scrape it down real good with your skinning knife. Grounding a drop was just extra busy work. And remember those tiny 4' groundrods-or use many 300ohm transformers lately? Does anyone still send their grunt up 4 sections of layup sticks to work on that rusted mid-span bug? Ever walk out on Bell, jigging thru jungle span after span? I remember finding ancient feeder extentions made from bare twin lead held apart by popsicle sticks. I remember my analog SAM 3 meter big and cumbersome as a breadbox. How 'bout anybody use a jumpered 9V battery for toning drops/outlets--don't need to dress the ends--just lick 'em! 12' spade/spoon'd work you silly for the scantiest of shovelfuls. Snubber grip snuggies for -59 drops? Or when coring connectors were new tech? 'Member spending whole checks on beer as redemption for the weeks assortment of henious foul-ups. I remember Unit #44, a crank-up wooden LA Ladder truck. Can't forget the Playmates who threw a party when Playboy Channel launched. And since it was the 80's, I'm sure the best memories are those I can't recall.
Must be oldtimers disea...(sleep)
This is CABL.com posting #165929. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRkr
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Feeling Old Skool Wolf1 4/17/2006 10:00:00 PM
Re: Feeling Old Skool xmod 4/17/2006 6:24:00 PM
Re: Feeling Old Skool xmod 4/17/2006 6:20:00 PM
Re: Feeling Old Skool vegassatellite 4/17/2006 6:16:00 PM
Re: Feeling Old Skool cabledad 4/17/2006 10:04:00 AM
Re: Feeling Old Skool Ncabletoolong 4/16/2006 4:26:00 PM