Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: All good points

According to ellisisland.com:
Between 1892-1954 nearly 12 million immigrants were processed through the Ellis Island immigrant depot.

When Ellis Island processed those immigrants the process didn't take 3-10 years. People purchased a ticket got on the boat and once they got to the US they were transported to Ellis Island then processed. Some took as long as a week to get processed.

Now-a-days things are very different. You don't just hop on a plane and once you hit ground in the US announce, "hey there, I'm one of the huddled masses, please let me in". The process is way more complicated and in many cases impossible for many people. As I have said before, being the husband of an immigrant and having have gone through the process of getting my wife a greecard I can tell you first hand that the immigration department (formerly known as Immigration & Naturalization Service or INS and now known as the US Citizenship & Immigration Services or USCIS which is now a division of Homeland Security) is the most screwed up department in our government. You can call three different offices and talk to three different people at each office and they will all give you different answers to the same question. Trust me I know as I have been there, done that. And now I am going through the process again trying to get my step-daughter a green card.

If we ever hope to solve the problem of illegal aliens then we are going to have to address the issue from a realistic point of view. Building a wall or a fence isn't going to keep anyone out who wants to get in. Further complicating the process of legal entry will only worsen matters as well.

I'm not saying let them all in, but I would rather allow someone in for economical reasons than someone who is out to harm us. At least if they are legally allowed to work here they will be required to pay taxes here as well. And if they are living working and paying taxes here they are also going to be purchasing things here as well, and it just makes good sense to have a paying customer than it does to have no customer, right?

Near my home (I live in a small rural community just outside a city) there is a trailer park that is made up of mostly illegals. Almost everyone of those trailers has either a DishNetwork or Directv dish outside them. DNS & DTV carry Spanish language channels, local cable does not. If your a satellite installer and think these illegals are taking the money out of your pockets, think again. I don't know of any illegals doing sat installs (in my area), but I do know that I and many other installers have done a number of installs for the illegals. If anything they have helped to put food on my table, not taken it from my mouth.
This is CABL.com posting #165682. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRgs
Posted in reply to: All good points by Wife of a cable guy
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: All good points fusion42 4/13/2006 1:19:00 PM