Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Illegals are marching, and why we don't

"We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!"

That's all well & good, and for the most part I agree, but learning takes time. Just because a person steps off the plane or boat or crawls under or over the fence onto American soil does mean they can somehow have the instant ability to speak our language. Sure they can try to learn it before they come and many do make that attempt. Being the husband of an immigrant (my wife is from Colombia) I can tell you first hand that eventhough she took English classes in her country for two years, she never really started to learn the language until she got here. It is difficult to really learn a language until you are surrounded by it and hearing it everyday. It takes time to learn English, especially for the older people.

My wife attended English as a Second Language (ESL) classes at our local community college along with many other immigrants from several countries (many of which were not Spanish speaking).

Most all the immigrants I have spoken with have said they love this country, they want to become citizens and they also want to learn to speak English as well as we do. But give them a break, there are a great many immigrants who are trying. Their English may not be perfect (in some cases no matter how hard they try they are still diffcult if nearly impossible to understand possibly due to a heavy accent) but getting upset and being rude to them isn't going to make their language skills suddenly better.
This is CABL.com posting #165238. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQ9i
Posted in reply to: Re: Illegals are marching, and why we don't by dsatelitmn
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Illegals are marching, and why we don't Wife of a cable guy 4/7/2006 4:52:00 PM
Re: Illegals are marching, and why we don't crawl2much 4/7/2006 3:05:00 PM