Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Dui,Oui,Dwi....

Got close friends (a husband and wife that I would call functional alcoholics) who both got arrested (at different times) for DUI here in Alabama. The husband got arrested and convicted once before he met his wife and arrested and aqquited a second time just within the last year. His wife has been arrested twice as well (within the past three years) and convicted only one of those times (currently on appeal). They way they tell it is if you blow into the machine you are screwed. Never ever blow into the machine. The little pocket breathalizers are okay, they are not admisable in court, but the machines with the printouts, never blow into those. You can also refuse the roadside test, remember most police departments are now video taping those so is you are falling down drunk it doesn't matter if you blew into the machine or not they will convict you unless you can walk into court like you have a severe physical handicap. The wife one her second offense had been at a New Year's party at my house. SHe had a few drinks that night and was in no way impaired when she left here for her 10 mile drive through the countryside to her home. She was seen on the video tape from the cop's dashboard cam walking just fine in high heels. SHe never slured when she talked and she actually took and passed the roadside test! She was convicted based on the fact that this was the second time she had been arrested for DUI and that she had gotten off the first time. In court the cop looked like a fool. First off he didn't even show up for the first court date. The second time he was two hours late (most judges would have thown the case out based on that alone, but this judge was the hanging kind). The the cop couldn't remember anything about the case (maybe he went home that New Year's eve and had a few too many himself). He said he followed her for 6 miles when she was stopped only 3 miles from my house.
While taking the hit and paying the fines may seem chaep as compared to the lawyer's fees you'll pay to try and beat the case, in the long run with all the extra you'll pay for your insurance, loss of wages due to having your licenses suspended and the such it really is much cheaper to fight than to plead guilty. I got my DUI back in 1985 when they didn't stay on your record forever (they dropped after 5 years). I have made it a point not to put myself in a position to get another one. So bottomline is if you don't drink and drive you have no need to worry about getting a DUI.
This is CABL.com posting #165016. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQ5I
Posted in reply to: Dui,Oui,Dwi.... by WmRussis
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Dui,Oui,Dwi.... cam2 4/5/2006 1:58:00 PM